On April 20, Agile Alliance announced that the in-person Agile2020 conference would be cancelled. I’m not going to repost the message, please go here for the full text.
As a board member, I participated in this decision. But I’m sharing today as a person that has attended this conference every single year since 2007.
Short version: I’m heartbroken.
Long version: I’m heartbroken. Sorry, needed to say it again.
- For Emma and the program team. I know how much work the conference chair and program team put in to creating this event. The work for them starts basically the Friday the previous year ends. And to have put in all this work and not experience the event – to see the keynotes up on that stage – to feel the energy and smiles – to basically feel that sense of accomplishment. And I have no doubt that this team of people will pick up and try to figure out creative ways to still share some of that program. I’m so sorry and truly thank you.
- For the track chairs and reviewers. I saw the program. You did an amazing job selecting a wide range of incredible experience speakers and new people with interesting topics that I wanted to attend. Most of your effort is past but not unnoticed. I for one know how hard recommendations can be and I was excited by what you chose this year.
- For the speakers. Selfishly, one of my clients was accepted to speak. He was so excited and had already started going through his session outline with me. I am sad that he’s not going to get to see this goal be met…this year. I was personally looking forward to speaking. There is something special about saying you got to speak at an AgileXX event and I am sad that people are going to miss out on that. I hope you are able to find ways to share regardless.
- For support partners/teams. Staff, Elastic…you’ve been working on this event for years. Your jobs are far from easy and often behind the scenes but I truly thank you. We are able to make decisions and explore alternatives because of your efforts.
- For me. With maybe one year exception, this conference refuels me. This is the place where I’ve challenged myself – my approaches, my skills, my mindset. This is the place where I connect and feel a part of this bigger tribe. This is a place where I feel I can pay it forward. Generally, this is the place where I laugh and learn. I look forward to sessions. I look forward to challenging myself with my sessions. I look forward to the hugs. I look forward to whiskey night. I look forward to just being with everyone…our little Agile framily reunion. I have so many memories throughout the years and to think I won’t get new ones this year – just breaks my heart. This conference changed my life. I owe so much to the environment and connections it fostered. So I feel a tremendous loss with the cancellation.
I know it’s just a conference. I know there will be more. I know that it was the right choice. I know that my heart will heal. But for this week, I’m going to grieve the loss of those potential memories/moments.
Good thing Agile2021 is in Denver. I’ll need everyone to come for extra days to make up for this please!